Coominya State School occupies 5.35 hectares of land. The school has a sporting field, tennis court, junior and senior playgrounds including 2 covered adventure playgrounds. The grounds contain many native trees where koalas and possums can be seen, and birds, such as lorikeets fly in regularly, to feed.
Coominya State School began as small country school in September 1912. Over the years it has grown in size with extensions added to the original school building in 1923. This building currently houses the administration office, Principal's office and staff room.
The 1977 demountable building, is now used as a music room at one end and before and after school care at the other.
The 1980 demountable building once housed the library, but is now used as a classroom.
The 1982 building, used as an early education centre, is now used as a classroom.
The 1983 teaching block contains 2 double teaching spaces, a withdrawal room and storage. It is used for classroom teaching areas.
The 1985 teaching block contains a double teaching space and storage. It is used as a classroom teaching area.
The new library was built in 2010 and houses a large and modern collection of resources.
A covered area is used for assemblies, school events, under-cover play and student lunch.